The Star Suite is located above main house at Bluebird Hill on Indian Blanket Ranch, with outside stairs and large deck that’s great for stargazing or bird watching. You are in the tree tops with the birds. The beautiful free-form swimming pool with a waterfall will relax your stresses away. This property is on Blanket Creek, which is seasonal and great for wading and catching tadpoles.
Situated on Indian Blanket Ranch, a 250 acre ranch, there are Bluebird Nestbox Nature Trails for bird watching, hiking, jogging, and mountain bikes. There are six benches spread out on the ranch for viewing wildlife and nature photography. Relax in the hammock, hot tub, or pool, after a fulfilling day of hiking or cycling the trails.
It is located 10 miles west of Utopia, Texas and five minutes east of Garner State Park and the Frio River. This property is close enough for tubing and river fun, yet far enough away for privacy.
For more beds & up to 20 people Bluebird Hill and Star Suite can be rented together.
Star Suite (Alone) Sleeps 2 to 6
Fall / Winter / Spring (Excludes Holidays & Spring Break)
2 Night Minimum - $165 for first 2 people, per night
$10 each extra person per night; children 1 yr & under Free
$165 refundable deposit to hold your reservation.
Less than 10 people, Deposit deducted from Balance Due
10 or more people; deposit refunded after stay (if no problems)
Pet Fee: $10 per dog/night.
Deposit refunded after stay (if no damages or extra cleaning needed)
Please view the Pet Policies below.
Winter Holidays / Spring Break / Easter – 3 Night Minimum
Downstairs & Upstairs Must Rent Together
Summer- Memorial Weekend thru Labor Day – 4 Night Minimum
Downstairs & Upstairs Must Rent Together
Summer / Holidays / Spring Break Whole House Must Rent Together
Rent Bluebird Hill with Star Suite together Here
Star Suite Amenities:
Upstairs Amenities Include: Sleeps 6
1 Bedroom Area: 1 king
Livingroom: 1 queen bed, 1 queen sofa bed
1 full bath, walk-in shower
Small furnished Kitchen; under counter Refrigerator, No Freezer, Bring Ice Chest for ice & extra food.
Small 4 burner stove top with oven, microwave, coffee maker, blender, BBQ utensils
Wi-Fi, Heat & Air, Ceiling fans
32” Satellite TV with DVD/VCR in living room
Great Views of the Hills, Stars & Sunsets from the Upstairs Deck
Outside Ground Level Amenities:
4 patios & 2 decks with tables & chairs
Propane Campfire table with chairs on front patio
BBQ grill & Picnic table in back yard by deck overlooking the seasonal (dry or wet) creek
Stand-alone Hot Tub, Rock Campfire Ring, Hammock for relaxing
Swimming Pool 4’ to 6’ deep, 6” kiddie area, hot tub spa 4’ deep & wrap-around bench
Swings & play area in trees
We provide a NEMA 14-50 Outlet in the vicinity of the driveway for EV charging. The plug is conveniently located within range of a standard Tesla mobile charger cord but can be used with any electric vehicle cord that has compatibility for this outlet. Bring your cord.
We stayed upstairs in the Star Suite. It was clean and homey. My kids enjoyed the beautiful swimming pool every evening. It was a great visit, very reasonably priced, and we look forward to renting from them again soon.
Laura R: Baytown, TX August 2016
to get to a good dark sky. The nearby state parks, Garner State Park with a Bortle 4 rating and Lost Maples State Park with a Bortle 3, were very appealing coming from Houston. We set up our telescope at the entrance to the bird reserve (quite near the house) and saw Bortle 3 skies on the two very clear nights of our four night visit. By staying at the lodge, we also avoided the annoying (and quite damaging if taking pics) headlights from passing cars that are a problem at Garner SP. Since the site for the scope was close to the house, we could also come into the house to warm up during long exposures. It was heavenly. I was expecting a cabin similar to those at the park or nearby sites nearby and was very pleasantly surprised to be staying in an honest-to goodness house. Good, non-drafty house with full kitchen, hard wood floor, bathroom with shower, wall partitioning off the one bedroom, sleeps 5 if have children. There was also a wonderful hot tub (great for post-star gazing on cold nights), three small round tables outside, a big hammock and a rock fountain that made for a great relaxing atmosphere. There are no separate rooms in the Sun Suite, so it would be quite cozy (but completely doable) for 5 adults. Large shelving unit in the middle of the common room that we used for telescope lenses and other supplies (just put the knick-knacks back when you’re done). Overall a fantastic place to gaze at the stars within reach of Houston, Beaumont, and (of course) San Antonio. We definitely plan to come back for our next 3-day weekend!!
Terzah: Houston, TX January 2015
We leave one roll of toilet paper in each bathroom and one trash bag in each can. Bring Extra.
What to bring:
• Bath towels, wash rags, hand towels, river towels
• Extra toilet paper and extra trash bags – 13 gal. for kitchen and 39 gal. for outside cans
• Your groceries and supplies: salt, pepper, sugar, paper towels, coffee, filters, and dish soap (no dishwasher)
• Small under counter Refrigerator, No Freezer, Bring Ice Chest for ice & extra food.
• Bath articles: shampoo, bath soap, hand soap, etc.
• Flashlight, batteries, matches, lighter fluid, charcoal for grill, firewood for campfire (please do not use wood cut from trees that died from Live Oak Decline)
• Stereo, camera, binoculars, bug spray, sun block, river chairs, river shoes, Fishing License, black oiled sunflower seeds for bird feeder, sugar to make nectar for hummingbird feeder (1 cup of sugar)
*Beer, wine and liquor is sold in Leakey. No alcohol is sold in Utopia, Rio Frio, or Concan.
**If traveling from out of state, plane, or bike: Towels available upon advance request at no extra charge. Please let us know at least two days ahead of time.
• Maximum of 2 dogs allowed, weighing 50 lbs or less each
• Only well behaved, house-trained; Won’t chew on furniture, rugs or scratch floors, walls, doors
• Dogs allowed Inside Only in their kennel/cage
• Don’t allow them on furniture or beds
• Only leashed or tied when outside
• Pickup & throw away poop
• Do not allow dogs to dig in yard or flower beds
• Dog owner responsible for dog’s safety, and for any damages to lodging property
• Do not allow your dogs to bark excessively, run free or chase other animals
• Please pick up most of the dog hair
• $10 per night per dog (covers normal pet hair clean up, spraying inside for fleas & ticks)
• Your deposit will be kept throughout your stay. If no damages or extra cleaning is needed, we will refund your entire deposit to your account.
*Please let us know if you will be bringing your dog.
**Please Note** The cell towers here are AT&T, so only AT&T cell phones work here. Even then, cell service can be spotty driving through the hills. Hideaway has a house phone, so please provide that to your family or friends for emergency. Bring a calling card to make long distance calls from the house phone.